‘Add regular, quality content.’ It’s a phrase you’ll hear from SEO experts again and again. Of all the tasks a search engine optimisation company could ask you to do, this is possibly the most onerous, not to mention expensive. So just why do SEOs insist on it?
There are a number of very good reasons to keep updating your site with quality content. While most of them relate to website optimisation, there are a few benefits that will help your business in general:
1. It’s important to impress Google and the search engines. The reason the search engine optimisation industry started websites on the content rollercoaster is that they noticed how much Google liked sites with fresh content – Wikipedia is a prime example of this; how many times do you see Wikipedia on the first page for a search? Google, and the other search engines, are looking for websites that offer the best web pages in response to a search query. In all but a few special cases, this requires content that is up-to-date and relevant, making the site a real authority in its sector. This is why Google takes regular updates into account when calculating your site’s rankings.
2. No, seriously, it’s really important for impressing Google. Things have got even more serious with Google and fresh content recently. Google’s Panda Update (also known as the Farmer Update) gave many site owners a nasty shock. Google has established with this update that it is not going to put up with sub-par content any longer. If Google’s Matt Cutts is to be believed, sites without a quality content plan are highly likely to have their rankings suffer over the next year or so.
3. Other sites will like it. Why impress other sites? When you impress other site owners with your quality content, they’re more likely to offer you a free link. Free links are important for your SEO, as they are the sort of organic growth and connection that Google and the other search engines are looking for.
4. You will gain acclaim and notoriety. An even better outcome of really good content is that it makes you famous – at least within circles that are important to your business. Posting quality content on a regular basis can get you a reputation as an authority in your field. Once you’ve achieved that, you don’t need to work as hard to obtain links from other sites; they will flow in to you naturally.
5. Your customers will appreciate it. It may seem a cheesy thing to say, but customers like businesses that take care of them. In offering content, you’re offering up free information and advice. What better way to win your customers over?
Okay, so knowing that content is important doesn’t help you get it on your pages. You have a few options when it comes to acquiring content. First, you can buy it. This can get expensive when you’re aiming for top-of-the-line content. Second, you can write it yourself. This can prove expensive in terms of time. Third, you can buy it at cut cost. This isn’t a great option when you’re looking for true quality.
The answer for most businesses will be in a mix of the options available. Sourcing a number of well-written articles from a professional writer or your SEO company can give you a good base. This will buy you some time, making it easier to plan and write a few of your own pieces. Remember to plan out your schedule in advance, and it will be much easier.